Creative Clay Cups
Day One: Three thumbnail sketches, with colour.
Day Two: Slab demonstration. Finish thumbnail sketches and choose your favourite one.
Day Three: Begin slab cup. Make basic form. Put in bag and tightly seal to keep wet.
Day Four: Work on slab cup. Add details. Make sure everything is scored!
Day Five: Smooth and REFINE.
Day Six: Last day for clay cup.
Clay gets fired in the kiln. When it comes out, we glaze it!
Day Seven: Glazing Day. Three colours only!
Day Eight: Bring in a bag or box! We get to take our cups home today!
How do I succeed?
- Your cup must show originality and creativity. It must be different than anyone elses! ( SELF EXPRESSION)
- Your cup must be able to hold water. Your cup must have all of its pieces tightly scored! Your cup must be structurally sound. (TECHNIQUE)
- When discussing your art work and critiquing others, you must use the appropriate vocabulary. ( LANGUAGE OF ART)
- You must use class time wisely. (PERSONAL MANAGEMENT)
- How can we be sure that our clay will not break in the kiln?
- In what cultures has clay been used and for what reasons?
- If an object is useful, is it still considered art?
- To create a finished form in clay, what techniques do we need to know?